[Comedias] Romance Quarterly Special Issue

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Mon Nov 23 14:47:18 CST 2020

Dear AHCT members:

Romance Quarterly will be guest edited by 3 of our officers and we very much hope you will consider sending us abstracts for this excited Special Issue “The Comedia Under Siege”. Please see the information below and contact one of the editors (Erin Cowling, Esther Fernández, Glenda Nieto-Cuebas) with any questions you might have:

 [cid:image001.png at 01D6C19F.26403030]

CFP Special Issue: Romance Quarterly / The Comedia Under Siege

Erin Alice Cowling (MacEwan University) cowlinge at macewan.ca

Esther Fernández (Rice University) ef14 at rice.edu

Glenda Y. Nieto-Cuebas (Ohio Wesleyan University) gynietoc at owu.edu

Expected Publication: April 2022

Timeline:

Abstracts: February 15, 2021

Full Drafts: July 1, 2021

Editors will return revisions by August 15, 2021

Revised papers: October 1, 2021

 Special Issue Topic: The Comedia Under Siege

This past year, in addition to the crisis of the Humanities that was already besieging us, we have experienced a new challenge that has impacted our lives in many ways. As educators, we had to reorganize our teaching into a remote format. Likewise, many cultural and social initiatives have had to devise new ways of resuming their activity virtually. Within the realm of theatre, companies have had to devise creative proposals for virtual platforms.

This special issue intends to examine a variety of proposals that have been carried out in the Spanish-speaking world in order to keep the comedia afloat during a rigorous confinement, and to evaluate the contributions of these innovative and spontaneous creations.

It is important to discuss what this implies for an inherently live medium such as the theatre, where the magic is created through the energy between actors and spectators in situ. How do we process this virtual “fifth wall” applied to the performance of classical texts? Furthermore, how do you establish a virtual connection between actors and spectators?

On a more pragmatic, and broader level, we also wonder how theaters have coped with more than three months of closure. What are the implications of a company performing with a reduced audience capacity? Has COVID-19 made us rethink an alternative form of theatre?

Instructions for Authors: We are looking for shorter papers (20 pages max.) that explore how COVID has affected the performance of the Comedia. Papers must follow the style guidelines as outlined by Romance Quarterly<https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=vroq20#prep>.

Best, Erin

--
Dr. Erin Alice Cowling, PhD
Assistant Professor/Coordinator, Spanish