[Comedias] "Crisis in the Humanities" and the Comedia

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Mon Feb 8 13:32:26 EST 2016

Dear Matt,

One reason why I became so interested in the Chamizal was the idea that performing theater was a great way to reach students. On my first visit to the Siglo de Oro, I had a midshipman who was from El Paso sit with me and the play was El caballero de Olmedo. The festival corresponded to our spring break. I haven't had the opportunity since 1984 to have a student there what with changing dates. However, the study of languages is now declining at my institution in favor of STEM majors. I was not replaced when I retired. We had five professor lines in Peninsular literature. Now we have two. That should give you an idea of the shifting priorities. Any hires in Spanish are either linguists or Latin Americanists. I hired the last people in Peninsular lit in the year 2000 when I was still chair. Just last week I found a lonely note card that I had inadvertently left in a BAE edition of some Lope de Vega plays. I may be the only person left reading Lope and I'm retired! I used videos from Chamizal performances in the classroom when I was teaching such as Sor Juana's loa to the Divino Narciso or El gran teatro del mundo. Students greatly appreciate literature when they encounter it. However, opportunities are now rare. The situation at my institution I can understand somewhat, yet it isn't much different from other places as far as the literary aspects of our courses go and the lack of students interested in  previous centuries. The ironic thing is that we have more access to texts and historical information on the Internet than ever before, even videos! You don't have to trek off to the library to check editions! I still think we need to fight the good fight and keep literature wherever we can on the curriculum.
Hope this helps!
Sharon

Sent from my iPad