[Comedias] 2017 Comediantes banquet

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Thu Dec 1 22:50:51 EST 2016

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to invite you to join us for a *comediantes* banquet in
Philadelphia during the MLA.  This is a long and honored tradition that
actually predates our group's Executive Division, designed as a respite
from the conference that allows us to celebrate our field and enjoy each
others' company.
*(Trivia:  Did you know that on one memorable occasion Thornton Wilder
attend​ed​ the comediantes banquet after sharing his research on the
stagecraft of Lope?)*
​ ​
We never know quite what to expect, but there will be food, fun and
spirited conversations!  If you have a memorable banquet tale to tell from
years (or decades past), please consider sharing it during the course of
the evening. Please also consider inviting a junior scholar to join us--it
is a great networking/mentoring event.

Although the Division decided a few years back that they no longer wanted
to assume the responsibility for arranging the banquet, they have given
their blessing for others to continue the tradition.   In consultation with
their boards, *AHCT* and *GEMELA* have joined together to make this
reprisal possible.  We are especially grateful to the officers of AHCT for
allowing attendees to pay via
​P
aypal on the AHCT website, thereby making the cumbersome collecting of
checks a thing of the past.  In addition, Stacey Schlau, a local resident,
researched venues.  We hope that both the place and the menu will appeal to
many of you.  In reviewing the program, it seems impossible to avoid all
scheduling conflicts. However, given that the medieval cash bar is on
Friday, we opted to hold the banquet on Saturday evening beginning at 7,
immediately following the last GEMELA session that ends at 6:30.  If this
event proves a success, we hope to continue this beloved tradition at the
2018 MLA.

*Details*:  Join  us for the *comediantes *banquet on *Saturday, January 7
at 7 at Bistro 7
<https://www.google.com/search?q=bistro+7+Philadelphia&oq=bistro&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j0l2.3326j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8%29>
(located at 7 North Third Street)*!  We hope that 7 is our lucky number as
we want to make this a night to remember
​ ​
~
The restaurant is BYOB, so you may bring your own beverages (no corkage
fee; $65 for the banquet alone) or opt to include wine ($75 for banquet and
beverages) in which case we will provide wine and non-alcoholic options. To
pay, please visit the AHCT website at www.comedias.org  *or* click here
<http://www.wordpress.comedias.org/mla-comediantes-banquet/>:

*or* copy and paste this address into your browser:
http://www.wordpress.comedias.org/mla-comediantes-banquet/

Please note that space is limited to 35 (approximately the same number who
attended the last banquet)--so please reserve as early as possible.

Though some menu options may change, at the time of the event, you will be
able to select from the following (or comparable) options:

*First Course: Choose one*

*Chopped Winter Greens Salad creamy parmesan vinagrette,​ ​sourdough
crostini*

*Roasted Asparagus Salad*

*shallot vinagrette, boiled egg, baby argula*

*Parisian-style Gnocchi*

*Maritake mushrooms, garlic, brown butter, Pecorino Romano*

*Second Course:  Choose one*

*Herb Roasted Lancaster County Chicken*

*potatoes whipped with creme fraiche, roasted winter root vegetables, *

*Slow Roasted Salmon*

*French lentils, baby ar​u​gula, tarragon butter*

*Beef Short Ribs Braised with Burgundy and Rosemary*

*saffron risotto, natural au jus*

*Dessert:  Choose one*

*Jasmine Coconut Rice Pudding (non-diary)coconut caramel, toasted coconut*

*Chocolate Malted Cremeux*
*malted cream, cocoa streusel*

--
Amy R. Williamsen, Ph.D.
Department Head and Professor of Hispanic Studies