[Comedias] Early Modern Spanish Actresses in England

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Sat Sep 8 10:54:51 EDT 2018

Good morning!

I'm researching women actors from Siglo de Oro who may have traveled and
performed in England. Melveena McKendrick, in *Theatre in Spain*, mentions
that "the occasional Spanish acting troupe even found its way to France and
England" (266); however, I cannot find her source. Many of the secondary
sources on players from the Renaissance theater in England and Spain do not
provide evidence of Spanish actresses in England. Neither Cotarelo y Mori's
work nor the list in DICAT provide any information regarding this topic,
that I can find. I would love any suggestions or pointers! Thank you!

Saludos,
Lizz

Elizabeth M. Cruz Petersen, PhD
Adjunct Professor, Department of Languages, Linguistics, and Comparative
Literature - CU 232
Fellow at the Center for Body, Mind, and Culture at FAU
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991
epeters1 at fau.edu
*Women's Somatic Training in Early Modern Spanish Theater*

*https://www.routledge.com/products/9781472479846
<https://www.routledge.com/products/9781472479846> *
*For a free review copy:*
http://pages.email.taylorandfrancis.com/review-copy-request