[Comedias] CFP - Theaters of Marginality

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Tue Jan 16 10:02:34 EST 2018

Dear friends and colleagues,

I wanted to share with you this CFP for a conference that will take place
in UMass Amherst and Amherst College on the Peninsular theater,
performance, and marginality from the early modern period to the present.

I hope you find it inspiring. We had a wonderful working group at this year
MLA and we hope to continue the dialogue on this topic.

All best,
Esther Fernández

CALL FOR PAPERS

THEATERS OF MARGINALITY
University of Massachusetts Amherst and Amherst College
SEPTEMBER 21-22, 2018

The Iberian Theater and Performance Network (ITPN) is devoted to the study
of Iberian theater and performance from a trans-historical perspective,
bridging Golden Age theater (1580-1700) with contemporary playwriting,
performance, and theatrical practices in the plurinational setting of the
Iberian peninsula.

The Second Conference of the Iberian Theater and Performance Network will
focus on the topic of marginality. It is informed by the transhistorical
persistence of marginality, which we aim to approach from a textual,
performative, and cultural perspective. We seek to explore non-normative
practices and their negotiation in the realm of gender, sexuality, race,
class, religion, and identity. Additionally, this conference will address
the boundaries of the performative and theatrical event, as a site of
inclusion and exclusion.

Topics may include but are not limited to:
● Sexuality
● Queerness
● Displacement and Immigration
● Race and Ethnicity
● Religious minorities
● Socio-economic status and inequality
● Disability
● Aging
● Spatial and temporal liminalities
● Marginal genres and performance practices
● Writing, performance, and language

Submitting your proposal:
We invite abstracts for 20-minute papers (in English or Spanish) on a broad
variety of topics and methodological approaches that treat the theme of
“Theaters of Marginality” from disciplines including theater and
performance studies, literary studies, musicology, history, art history,
philosophy, cultural studies, religious studies, gender and sexuality
studies, and critical theory.

To propose a paper, please submit an abstract not exceeding 250 words to
the program committee at  http://itpn.mla.hcommons.org. The proposal should
include the speaker’s name, e-mail address, and academic affiliation.
Proposals must be received by end of day on  Friday, March 16, 2018.

Since space is limited and there will be no parallel sessions, all
abstracts will be peer reviewed and notifications of accepted proposals
will be sent by the middle of April.

Keynote speaker:
María M. Delgado is Professor and Director of Research at the Royal
Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London. She has published
extensively on Twentieth- and Twenty-first-century Spanish theatre,
performance and film, focusing on both stage and screen actors and
directors. Her most recent book is  “ Otro” teatro español: Supresión e
inscripción en la escena española de los siglos XX y XXI  (2017).

Featured Performances:
Conference organizers team-up with performers to develop a piece that
reflects on the topic of marginality. Confirmed actors include Isabel
Rodes, David Boceta, and Juan Hernando Vázquez. In addition, the
conference will feature a performance of Max Aub’s monologue  D e un tiempo
a esta parte , which chronicles the harrowing experience of a Jewish woman
in the Vienna of 1938, played by Spanish actress and researcher Esther
Lázaro. The actors’ credits include Centro Dramático Nacional and
Compañía Nacional de Teatro Clásico, among others.

For more information, see  https://itpn.mla.hcommons.org/
amherst-ma-september-2018