[Comedias] AHCT snap election of officers: results

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Thu Jun 22 10:46:04 EDT 2017

Dear members and friends of the Association for Hispanic Classical Theater,

I am delighted to share with you the results of our recent snap election of
two important officers: President-Elect and Vice President for Annual
Conference.

The office of President-Elect is new to the organization and was instituted
as a result of a board vote this past April. Designed to ensure a smooth
transition of leadership, the President-Elect will enjoy ample
opportunities to develop a sense of duties and direction before assuming
the office of President on January 1, 2019. Please join me in
congratulating Bruce Burningham and thanking him for his willingness to
take on this important work.

The office of Vice President for Annual Conference has been vacant for over
a year, so the election of Esther Fernández is most welcome. She will begin
coordinating immediately the various teams that make the AHCT annual
conference a professional and collegial success. Please join me in
congratulating Esther and thanking her for her willingness to continue the
work of Darci Strother, outgoing and outstanding VPAC.

*PRESIDENT-ELECT *

*Bruce R. Burningham* *(Illinois State University, Life Member of AHCT)*

As someone with a background in both theatre and Spanish, I have long
supported the mission of AHCT, particularly its emphasis on performance. I
joined the organization in 2000 and have only missed one annual conference
during the past 17 years. I have served on the Board of Directors since
2008, and on the Faculty Papers Selection Committee since 2013. Given
recent trends in the academy, at Chamizal, and across the US, our most
urgent challenge will be to reposition comedia studies within the broader
cultural context of a pan-Hispanic—including Latin American and
Latinx—performance tradition.

*VICE PRESIDENT FOR ANNUAL CONFERENCE*
*Esther Fernández* *(Rice University)*

I have been a member of the AHCT since 2003 and a board member since 2015.
In the last 3 years, I co-organized 5 conferences and multiple Special
Sessions dealing with Hispanic Theater. I created a wide network of theater
professionals and scholars with whom I actively collaborate in developing
creative ventures that promote Hispanic theatre and performance in the US,
such as approaching theater studies from a transhistorical perspective or
global topics, creating tailor-made performances and workshops that address
specific themes/needs with international actors and dramaturges or
coordinate tours with actors. These initiatives could be adapted to
increase the AHCT visibility.

______
Susan Paun de García
President, Association for Hispanic Classical Theater
Professor Emerita
Department of Modern Languages
Denison University
Granville, OH 43023