[Comedias] "Crisis in the Humanities" and the Comedia

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Thu Jan 28 09:21:26 EST 2016

There has been considerable discussion the past few years about the "crisis
in the humanities": lower interest and lower enrollments in humanities
courses due to the perception that philosophy, literature, and art history
will be of little or no use in one's career. I have heard a few anecdotes
about positions that are filled with Latin Americanists when the
*comediante* leaves, about Golden Age courses being taught by adjuncts or
professors who specialize in other areas of Spanish-language literature or
culture, about Golden Age courses being taught less frequently or cancelled
altogether, declining enrollments causing departments to reconfigure their
needs, etc. I would very much appreciate receiving other data (including
anecdotes) to determine whether there is a crisis in Golden Age studies,
especially in the *comedia, *for any reason (economic, political,
curricular, etc.). If you would like to share, you may send your
information to the entire list by responding directly to this message, or
you may send it directly to me at mstroud at trinity.edu (especially if would
prefer not to have your name made public). Any kind of relevant information
(even that which refutes the notion of the crisis in the humanities) will
be most appreciated.

Matt .

--
Matthew D. Stroud, Ph.D.