[Comedias] "Crisis in the Humanities" and the Comedia

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Wed Feb 3 09:47:14 EST 2016

I have to express my concerns and agree with Matt here, although there is a surge on basic Spanish (one year or three semesters), literature is the dreaded "L" word.  I have tried with some mild success to change course titles to attract students: Love, Betrayal and Death in the Spanish Golden Age, Witches, B*tches and Queerness in Spanish Golden Age theatre, --a title that impinged students sensibilities and had to be renamed. A subject for another occasion, the generation of sensitive nurtured students and how and what they wish to be taught. But I digress, my numbers in these classes never made it to the teens.

A year or so ago, I taught Don Quixote in English for the first time, with Freshmen, it was illuminating noticing that there was no sense of metaphor, imagination, and/or curiosity towards this great mother of all novels -or worst... never heard of this novel or Cervantes. Is it Kentucky?  In early assessment, I found out most were registered because it was a transcultural required course. When I retooled it and offered it again focusing on cultural and film aspects, it was cancelled because only 8 enrolled. I mean, what is wrong with The madcap adventures of don Quixote and his sidekick Sancho?

We have had majors leaving our languages program, in spite of having a department with a title and degrees blending languages, culture and international studies. I guess the message promulgated by politicians and people that do not understand the importance of Liberal Arts, Languages and/or Literature has sunken in the minds of parents and passed on to their children "-get something practical and useful that pays bills".  Students switching majors or leaving the major to pursue, business, pre-med, psychology, communications, environmental studies, physical therapy, and to add insult to injury --English. Was the advent of languages across the curriculum initiatives and the implementation of languages for the profession the seeds of our undoing?  Did the development of Linguistics and all its ramifications became the new wave of studies? Another subject matter in itself too. In the end, what use do we have to know who was don Juan or being called one? or a Celestina? No longer I shall hear the word pícaro or pícara? En fin como dice don Francisco de Trillo y Figueroa, "todo lo nuevo aplace..."

Nelson López, MFA, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair,
Department of Global Languages and Cultures
Bellarmine University
2001 Newburg Road
Louisville, KY 40205
www.bellarmine.edu/cas/foreignlanguages<http://www.bellarmine.edu/cas/foreignlanguages>
502.272.8237 Office
502.272.7290 fax
Spanish. Bestow great attention on this, and endeavor to acquire an accurate knowledge of it.
Our future connections with Spain and Spanish America, will render that language a valuable
acquisition. The ancient history of that part of America, too, is written in that language...
Thomas Jefferson (1787)