[Comedias] Methods Publication, National Theater Institute and More

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Tue Dec 1 11:25:52 EST 2015

[image: association for theatre in higher education]
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fathe%2Esite%2Dym%2Ecom>
*December
2015*
*METHODS* Publication Announcement

Pace University Press is proud to announce the publication of the first
edition of *METHODS, A Journal of Acting Pedagogy*. The journal was
originally begun to give acting professors and graduate students a
peer-reviewed place to publish rather than perish. We’re pleased to note
that more than half of this edition has been written by ATHE members.
That’s exciting because it is the ATHE membership that will be best served
by METHODS, and we look forward to articles and abstracts from the
membership. We’re interested in all things acting. We’ll be looking for one
or two page abstracts by December 30. We’ll also be looking for editors to
help decide the shape of the second edition. rwoertendyke at pace.edu
National Theater Institute Hosting "Launching Tomorrow's
Theater Artists: A National Conversation"

What is success, and how do we set the stage for an increasingly diverse
crop of aspiring theater makers? What does the industry demand – today and
tomorrow – of those training for a career? Are today’s young artists
prepared for the theater of tomorrow?

Hosted by the National Theater Institute at the two-time Tony-Award-winning
Eugene O’Neill Theater Center, 35 national leaders in the fields of
professional, regional, and collegiate theater convene this November to
explore how we define and impart the tools of success in today’s theatrical
landscape.

This will be a weekend of conversations about the state of theater
education in America and insight into how we train, support, and empower an
increasingly diverse crop of aspiring theater makers. Speakers include
James Bundy, Tara Rubin, & Kym Moore among others.

For more information, or to find out how to be involved in 2016, visit
www.NationalTheaterInstitute.org
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2ENationalTheaterInstitute%2Eorg>
.
VASTA Awards Conference Grant for Interdisciplinary Engagement!

The Voice and Speech Trainers Association (VASTA) Focus Group is proud to
announce the VASTA Engagement Committee's selection for the Conference
Grant Interdisciplinary Engagement. This award went to Colton Weiss, a
Research Assistant for the Crane Center for Early Childhood Research and
Policy at Ohio State University, who attended the American
Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention in Denver, Colorado,
November 12–14, 2015. Weiss stated, “Primarily, this funding showed me how
high the need is for passionate, dedicated clinicians who truly understand
the needs and demands of a performer’s voice.” To learn more about the
benefits of VASTA membership, including award and grant opportunities, see
Resources at VASTA
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evasta%2Eorg%2F>
.
Stars of the Stage and Page: Call for ATHE 2016 Award Nominations

Who do you consider a “star” artist, teacher, or scholar? Whose work do you
seek out and admire, whether on stage or in scholarship? Whose achievements
most inspire you to “reach for the stars” and strive for excellence in your
own work? Here is your opportunity to honor that individual’s
accomplishments.

*ATHE gives four prestigious awards recognizing the outstanding lifetime or
career achievements of individuals whose excellent work has made a
sustained and meaningful impact on the fields of educational and
professional theatre:*

Outstanding Teacher of Theatre in Higher Education
Career Achievement in Higher Education
Ellen Stewart Award for Career Achievement in Professional Theatre
Leadership in Community-Based Theatre and Civic Engagement

To nominate a “superstar” for one of these awards, write an impassioned
letter of nomination and solicit up to ten letters of support. More
information on criteria and the details of each award is located on the
ATHE website. The deadline for submissions is 15 February 2016.

*ATHE awards excellence in scholarly projects published in the last year:*

Outstanding Book
Outstanding Article in a Scholarly Journal

The deadline for submissions for Outstanding Book is 31 December 2015 and
the deadline for submissions for Outstanding Article is 15 February 2016.

*ATHE recognizes excellence in editing of an individual project, or in
sustained excellence for a lifetime body of work. These categories are
awarded every other year, with publications from the previous two years
eligible. In 2016 we will be honoring excellence in an individual project: *

Excellence in Editing

The deadline for submissions for Excellence in Editing is 15 February 2016.

*ATHE honors excellence in Playwriting via two awards:*

Jane Chambers
ATHE Excellence in Playwriting

The deadline for submissions for the ATHE Excellence in Playwriting Award
is 1 November 2015. The deadline the Jane Chambers Playwriting Award is 15
February 2016.

*In 2016, ATHE and ASTR will begin to jointly honor excellence in digital
scholarship with the inaugural presentation of the award:*

Excellence in Digital Scholarship

The deadline for submissions for Excellence in Digital Scholarship is 15
February 2016.

More information on nomination processes for all awards can be found
on the ATHE
website
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eathe%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3DAwards>.

ATHE 2016 Conference - Save the Date!

Thursday, August 11, 2016 to Sunday, August 14, 2016

Palmer House Hilton
17 E Monroe St
Chicago, IL 60603
Electronic Technology Committee Call for Papers

August 11-14, 2016
Palmer House Hilton | Chicago, Illinois
Call for Paper Proposals Due March 20, 2016

The Electronic Technology Committee and the Research and Professional
Development Committee of the Association for Theater in Higher Education
(ATHE) invites proposals for panels, roundtable discussions, and other
innovative sessions related to electronic technologies for the annual ATHE
Conference to be held Thursday, August 11 to Sunday, August 14, 2016 at the
Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, Illinois.

The 2016 conference theme is “Bodies at Work: Performance, Labor and ATHE
@30.” Drawing upon Chicago’s identity as a site of pivotal labor struggles
and multiple, overlapping theatrical histories, ATHE 2016 invites
participants to examine performance as labor and labor as performance. The
Electronic Technology Committee (ETC) welcomes panel proposals or
individual paper proposals that address the conference theme broadly in the
context of electronic technologies and their impact on theatre and
performance studies pedagogy, theory, and practice or deal with other
engaging topics in the field of digital humanities, theatre and performance.

Pedagogy is central to what we as educators do as digital humanists. As
such, our goal is to promote diverse pedagogical practices that integrate
technology. We turn to the ATHE membership for case studies where they have
used digital humanities projects and digital technologies in the teaching
of theater and performance studies. ETC will use the resulting panels and
papers to revise the Teaching and Technology
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fc%2Eymcdn%2Ecom%2Fsites%2Fwww%2Eathe%2Eorg%2Fresource%2Fresmgr%2Fimported%2FTeachingAndTechnology%2Epdf>
white paper that was written in 1996.

   - What are some digital resources and tools useful in performing the
   labor of teaching and/or creating theatre and performance?
   - What digital technologies do we want our students to know? How do you
   develop strategies to keep teaching new technologies?
   - How do you use digital technologies in the classroom (i.e. for
   presentations, collaborative learning, disseminating information, etc.)?
   - In what ways does digital technology inside and outside of the
   classroom enhance or complicate the learning experience of our theater
   students? What kinds of pedagogical difficulties, complications or
   complexities do you encounter in using digital humanities tools?
   - How might technology enhance or hinder student access? How do
   technologies take into account the important insights of disability studies
   work and foster a more inclusive teaching and learning environment?
   - How do digital technologies and resources (in the classroom or
   distance learning) help us engage with differences in relationship to race,
   class, gender, sexuality, and language?
   - How do you use digital humanities to engage with current social issues
   such as mass incarceration, systemic violence, racism, sexism, campus rape,
   or Black Lives Matter movement in the classroom? In what ways have you used
   digital technology as a tool for activism?

Individual paper proposals for consideration for placement on a panel
sponsored by the Electronic Technology Committee and Research and
Publication Committee require a 250-word abstract mailed to the panel
curators Kimberly Ramirez (kimberlydbr at gmail.com) and LaRonika Thomas (
laronika at umd.edu) by *Sunday, March 20 2016*. Individual paper abstracts
submitted must include paper title and contact information, and must
specify any AV needs.
PSi#22 Performance Climates - Submission Deadline Extended Until 18 December

Dear friends and colleagues,

We've received a lot of interest in the PSi #22: ‘Performance Climates’
Call for Papers (below), and many proposals are rolling in that interpret
the theme in provocative and inventive ways. We’re excited to announce that
in addition to the great speaker line-up, the conference will include a
specially curated performance festival at Arts House Melbourne, featuring
Marrugeku Theatre’s ‘Cut the Sky’ and a series of commissioned
performances, conversations and art/science collaborations. We’ll also be
joined in Melbourne by Spatula and Barcode, as part of their global
‘Foodways’ project.

extending the submission deadline until *18 December*. Please be reminded
that we’re open to individual papers, curated panels, and performative
presentations (albeit with some resource limitations). We’re interested in
conversations between and across disciplines, and seek a wide variety of
perspectives on our conference themes.

Do feel free to contact us on contact at psi2016.com for any further details.

Hoping to see you in Melbourne,

Eddie Paterson,
On behalf of the PSi #22: Performance Climates organizing committee.

Call for Papers
PSi#22: Performance Climates
6-9 July 2016 at the University of Melbourne, Australia
www.psi2016.com
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epsi2016%2Ecom>

Keynote speakers:
Richard Frankland, Bruno Latour, Rebecca Schneider, Peta Tait

   - Climates in, of, and for performance
   - The performativity of climates
   - Performance and climate change

Climates of many scales and durations testify to the irreducible complexity
of the modern world. Diffuse in structure and unpredictable in their
effects, they are both the general conditions in which events take place,
and the ambience produced as a result. Performance Climates invites
participants to explore the qualities and component parts of these
intricate, elusive, yet all-encompassing phenomena.

Performance events have long served as potent sites for the creation of
atmospheres and affects. Today, performance arts and inter-disciplinary
scholarship are increasingly reflecting on the climactic conditions within
which societies function, and under which life can best flourish. Activism,
art-science collaborations and new theatre aesthetics provide provocative
means of interpreting and acting upon such circumstances. And innovative
research methodologies and new conceptual paradigms offer ways of
re-thinking this radically inter-connected world across many scales of
human and non-human activity.

It is in this context that research into performance intersects with
climate change. A fact of life for increasing numbers of people, animals
and other organisms, there is widespread agreement that action is required
to mitigate its effects. Creative responses are needed in many domains:
from governance and policy, through technology and economics, to daily life
and the ways people interact with each other and the world around them.
Cultural practice is integral to all these domains. And as artists and
scholars work to apprehend the scale and complexity of the problem,
performing arts practice and performance interpretation more broadly
conceived have distinctive contributions to make to this project.

Taking place a year after PSi explored a radical model of distributed
conferencing (www.fluidstates.org
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efluidstates%2Eorg>),
Performance Climates will invite consideration of all these issues, along
with the question of whether Performance Studies is adapting appropriately
to new conditions, institutional frameworks, and localized challenges,
while undergoing its own global transformations. These issues are
intensified by the location of the conference in Australia, where debates
over biodiversity and energy use, and land custodianship and resource
extraction, are politically fraught and bear directly on the country’s
populations.

We therefore invite papers and performative presentations exploring how
performance creates, illuminates, and participates in climates of all
scales and compositions. Four themed days will then structure and focus the
conference as follows:

Day 1: Weather and Events
Day 2: Land and Durations
Day 3: Habitat and Environments
Day 4: Atmosphere and Affects

Submissions close 18 December 2015.

See psi2016.com
<http://www.athe.org/link.asp?e=garcia@denison.edu&job=2174205&ymlink=4346838&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epsi2016%2Ecom>
for details.

*© 2015 Association for Theatre in Higher Education*
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252
St. Paul, MN 55114 USA
Phone: (+1) 651-288-3430 | Fax: 651-290-2266 | Email: info at athe.org
Username: garcia at denison.edu | Reset Password