[Comedias] Theater and Medicine

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Mon Oct 20 13:04:06 EDT 2014

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I¹m pleased to announce the publication of Medical Cultures of the Early
Modern Spanish Empire (Ashgate, 2014).  Three of the twelve articles that
the book collects deal with seventeenth-century theater and medicine and may
be of interest to you.

Tayra Lanuza writes about astrological medicine (i.e. using astrological
observation to inform treatments) in "The Dramatic Culture of Astrological
Medicine in Early Modern Spain."

Maríaluz López-Terrada shows how different dramatic sub-genres represent
illnesses differently in "ŒSallow-faced girl, either it¹s love or you¹ve
been eating clay¹: The Representation of Illness in the Golden Age Theater.²

I examine how the theatrical elements of alchemical or ³chemical² medicine
made medical advancements appealing to preachers and theologians in "The
Theological Drama of Chymical Medicine in Early Modern Spain.²  It includes
a rare case history of an actor being treated with novel medical therapies
during the seventeenth century!  Please contact me directly at
jslater at ucdavis.edu if you¹d like a pdf offprint.

Also of interest to AHCT members is M.A. Katritzky¹s study of the ³wild men²
and ³wild women² (generally people with hypertrichosis, causing hair to grow
all over their bodies) who became objects of fascination at European courts
and in print.  The chapter is entitled: "Literary Anthropologies and Pedro
González, the ŒWild Man¹ of Tenerife."

Complete information (including a link to the introduction and index) can be
found at: http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781472428134

The book is expensive, but I¹m happy to share a discount code for 50% off;
just contact me at: jslater at ucdavis.edu. Of course, feel free to contact me
if you¹d like to know more or have any questions.

Take care,
John

John Slater
Associate Professor