[Comedias] Call for participants: Essentials of comedia production

AHCT Listserv comedias at comedias.org
Thu Jul 24 13:43:49 EDT 2014

I would like to propose a session on the essentials of comédia production outside the realm of professional theater. The discussion should be as all encompassing as possible, ie, applicable for productions in Spanish or English; to any level of company or group, university or not; to any play; but all with the end of encouraging us all to “just do it.” Given the resources available to each of but perhaps not so recognized, participants should derive from this panel keys to organizing collaborations and ultimately of making of their interest in comédia a more living and community vital product.

In my experience nothing teaches performance, nor about the materials that underlie performance, like actually doing it. May I propose that we organize a panel on just such ‘amateur’ performances covering the many elements of production by calling on the talents of three of our number who have expertise in such things as costuming, dance, set design, translation, or whatever speciality you can bring to the discussion.

This proposal is inspired by my own experience in acquiring skills in early music, based on the text, and my recent experiences in comédia and with AHCT, based on the texts. I am reminded of how much I learned of my art after grad school by producing my own events in collaboration with other university departments. It has been particularly rich experience to explore Spanish early music because of the lack of a tradition, just as is the case for most of us where comédia is concerned. I am led to believe that we can produce a rich and inspiring panel with some of the tricks of the trade as experienced by many of us.

Please propose your own participation in this panel by Tuesday, July 29

Thanks, Grover

Grover Wilkins
gw3 at orchestraofnewspain.org
Grover Wilkins 3d