[Comedias] FW: Call for papers for 60th RSA Meeting in NYC

comedias at comedias.org comedias at comedias.org
Fri May 3 08:52:32 EDT 2013

We are organizing a panel for the 60th Annual RSA Meeting in New York Hilton
Midtown, 27–29 March 2014 entitled: The image of Elizabeth I in Early Modern
Spain.

Here is the Call for Papers for anyone interested:

Queen Elizabeth I was a celebrated cult figure in 16th century England. In
Spain, however, her iconic presence was portrayed quite differently due to
the tense relations of the two countries. This strained and fearful
relationship between England and Spain began in 1584 with the prosecutions
of Catholics in England and the Spanish defeat of the “Invincible” Armada. A
limited Spanish corpus dedicated to this prominent political figure exists,
in which authors such as Miguel de Cervantes, Lope de Vega, Pedro de
Ribadeneira, Luis de Góngora, Antonio Coello or Bances Cándamo characterized
the Virgin Queen from contradictory perspectives and analyzed and imagined
her physical appearance, her private life, her personality and her rule.
This panel seeks to explore the fictionalized, historical and visual
representations of Elizabeth I and their impact on the Spanish collective
imagination. Please send 150 words abstracts in English by June 5, 2013 to
Eduardo Olid eolid at muhlenberg.edu <mailto:eolid at muhlenberg.edu>  or Esther
Fernández efernandez at slc.edu <mailto:efernandez at slc.edu> .