[Comedias] CFP M/MLA Special Session

comedias at comedias.org comedias at comedias.org
Mon Jun 3 09:09:14 EDT 2013

We are now accepting abstracts for the following special session,
sponsored by GEMELA (http://www.gemela.org, at this fall's M/MLA in
Milwaukee, November 7-10.  Deadline for abstracts is June 14.

Techne: Women's Art and Artifice in Early Modern Iberia and the New World

     As wives, mothers, servants, and slaves, women were responsible for
     such essential domestic tasks as food preparation and family
     medicine in early modern Spain and the New World. Their labor
     required extensive knowledge and practical skilltechnethat
     discomfitted uninitiated men, including authors, doctors, and agents
     of the law. Inquisitors, for instance, tried a disproportionately
     large number of women for Judaizing precisely because they prepared
     suspicious family meals. In literature, figures like Celestina
     bespeak profound anxiety over skilled womens potential to undermine
     the patriarchal lineage system by remaking virgins. We solicit
     papers on how women used both art and artifice to create their own
     cultural spheres of influence, alleviate oppression, or challenge
     mens readings of them. We are particularly interested in papers that
     consider the contributions of racial and religious minorities.

     Please send 250-word abstracts by June 14th to both Bradford Ellis,
     brad.ellis at snc.edu and Madera Allan,
     madera.allan at lawrence.edu.

     Chair: Bradford Ellis, St. Norbert College

--
Ivan Fernández
ivan.fernandezpelaez at utoronto.ca