[Comedias] new venture in exploring Comedia coming to El Paso

comedias at comedias.org comedias at comedias.org
Thu Feb 21 17:11:06 EST 2013

Practicum in Translating Comedia from Page to Stage

On March 7-9, 2013, the Association for Hispanic Classical Theatre will introduce a new venture: a Practicum in Translating Comedia from Page to Stage.

In this Practicum, directors, actors, translators, and observers will pursue a challenging mission together: exploring the performance dynamics that light up the first-act finale of No puede ser el guardar una mujer by Agustín Moreto.

This finale mixes comic & tragic & trickster & thriller elements to build a climax that

> brings a family into tense confrontation about who gets to control a little sister's social contacts -- the young woman herself, or the head of her family;

> introduces a "tailor's assistant" (who turns out to be the sidekick of the stud who’s determined to date the little sister, in disguise); and

> spells out how a big brother's determination to keep her under wraps turns a sweet little sister into a sassy rebel.

For each step in this dramatic build,

> we'll spend 90 minutes in Page Work -- exploring how the Spanish text sets up the characters and situations, listening to how different translations express these ideas in English, and shaping an English acting text for 21st-century American actors;

and then

> we'll spend 90 minutes on Stage Work -- putting the workshopped English script on its feet, and experimenting with how actors can make the relationships, subtexts, and status shifts we've discovered come alive in performance.

WE WELCOME TRANSLATIONS-IN-PROGRESS for this Practicum.

Text in Spanish, with brief overviews of the play and a detailed summary of events leading into the finale, are posted at

http://spanish-golden-age-plays.wikispaces.com.