[Comedias] FW: [GEMELA] CFP GEMELA at M/MLA

comedias at comedias.org comedias at comedias.org
Wed Feb 13 11:55:56 EST 2013

Call for papers: GEMELA Special Session at M/MLA, Milwaukee, 7-10 November 2013

Techne: Women’s Art and Artifice in Early Modern Iberia and the New World

As wives, mothers, servants, and slaves, women were responsible for such essential domestic tasks as food preparation and family medicine in early modern Spain and the New World. Their labor required extensive knowledge and practical skill—techne—that discomfitted uninitiated men, including authors, doctors, and agents of the law. Inquisitors, for instance, tried a disproportionately large number of women for Judaizing precisely because they prepared suspicious family meals. In literature, figures like Celestina bespeak profound anxiety over skilled women’s potential to undermine the patriarchal lineage system by remaking virgins. We solicit papers on how women used both art and artifice to create their own cultural spheres of influence, alleviate oppression, or challenge men’s readings of them. We are particularly interested in papers that consider the contributions of racial and religious minorities.

Please send 250-word abstract and a brief CV by Feb. 26 to brad.ellis at snc.edu AND madera.allan at lawrence.edu.