[Comedias] Spanish Theatre in English Translation is Out of the Wings!

Kathleen Jeffs kathleenjeffs at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 24 07:12:21 EST 2011

Dear Friends,

It's been an exciting year for Out of the Wings! Our database of Spanish
plays available in English translation from modern Spain, Spanish America
and the Spanish Golden Age is up and running, with no need to 'log in'.

The public site is LIVE!

Take a look: http://www.outofthewings.org/

On the site you can search, browse and investigate a treasure trove of
Spanish drama. Synopses, character lists, sample English translations and a
wealth of other information about the plays are ready and waiting for you to
explore.

You can also now contribute to the Out of the Wings database. Simply create
an account and become part of this growing resource. Just click on 'My
Profile' on the link below. Full instructions on how to submit material can
be found here:

http://www.outofthewings.org/users/

Select a play from our database and win the funding to stage it!

Dragons' Den Competition: Thursday 17 March

We're also proud to announce our upcoming Dragons' Den Competition! Please
alert any students on postgraduate drama courses to this exciting
opportunity to compete for up to £10,000 in funding to stage a play chosen
from our database. The funding will be awarded to the best proposal,
determined by our panel of judges (our 'Dragons') drawn from the best minds
in British theatre practice. Full details of how to enter the competition
are on our blog entry for the Dragons' Den: http://blog.outofthewings.org/.

Third Annual Symposium: Invisible Presences: Translation, Dramaturgy and
Performance

Our third Symposium follows our successful events in London in 2009 and
Oxford in 2010. This time the conference will be held in the Brian Friel
Theatre at Queen’s University Belfast. It will open with a bilingual
production of Lorca’s Blood Wedding on the evening of the 17th, and the
conference will finish on the 20th.

Registration is now open. Please go to
https://admin.qol.qub.ac.uk/ecommerce/trad2011/ and continue through the
registration process. A link to our website, where you will find discounted
accommodation, may also be found there.

The following have confirmed as plenary participants: Susan Bassnett, Catherine
Boyle, Marvin Carlson, Peter Eckershall, David Johnston, Mary Luckhurst and
Lawrence Venuti. There will also be a wide range of presentations to choose
from, two rehearsed readings, a performance and a number of workshops.

For more information about these and all of our events, check out our blog.

http://blog.outofthewings.org/

With all best wishes,

Kathleen Jeffs and The Out of the Wings Team

Project Directors:

Professor Catherine Boyle (Department of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin
American Studies, King's College London)
Professor David Johnston (School of Languages, Literatures and Performing
Arts, Queen's University Belfast)

Dr Jonathan Thacker (Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, Oxford
University)
Paul Spence (Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London)

Research Team:
Dr Gwendolen Mackeith (Department of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American
Studies, King's College London)
Dr Gwynneth Dowling (School of Languages, Literatures and Performing Arts,
Queen's University Belfast)
Dr Kathleen Jeffs (Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, Oxford
University)

Technical Research Team at the Centre for Computing and Humanities, King's
College London

Technical direction - Paul Spence

Project analysis, web development, database design, online editorial
environment - Geoffroy Noël

Interactive design - Paul Vetch

Postgraduate Research Student:
John O'Neill (King's College London)

Project Associate:
Janet Morris (Department of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies,
King's College London)