[Comedias] AHCT Conference Notes

Vidler, L. DR DFL Laura.Vidler at usma.edu
Wed Feb 18 14:51:38 EST 2009

Dear AHCT Colleages,

Our annual, AHCT conference in El Paso now has a full program of research presentations, discussion sessions, and plenaries.  Conference highlights include plenary sessions by Edward Friedman of Vanderbuilt University and David Johnston of Queen's University, Belfast, Northern Ireland.  2Rc Teatro from Canarias will also hold a discussion session on Thursday morning, following their performance of El perro del hortelano.  And the Chamizal Memorial's program promises some excellent performances.  More details and the full conference program are available on AHCT's web page: www.comedias.org.

I want also to include a note to members who are considering crossing the border to visit Juárez: you should be aware of an increase in violence related to drug traffic there.  The US State Department's report  at: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html gives details and advice.  This does not apply to El Paso.

I look forward to seeing you in El Paso.

Very cordially,

Robert Johnston

AHCT President

Laura L. Vidler, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Spanish

Department of Foreign Languages

West Point, NY  10996

(845) 938-3748

"Spanish. Bestow great attention on this, and endeavor to acquire an accurate knowledge of it. Our future connections with Spain and Spanish America, will render that language a valuable acquisition."

-Thomas Jefferson to nephew Peter Carr, 10 August 1787.