[Comedias] CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS: American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR)

S.P. Garcia garcia at denison.edu
Tue May 13 08:30:47 EDT 2008

The American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR) has accepted a proposal to present a Working Session -- a collection of short position papers, demonstrations, moderated discussion, and pooling of resources -- on New Approaches to Plays from the Spanish Golden Age at the Society's meeting in Boston next fall (November 6-9, 2008).

We're planning to open three lines of inquiry in this meeting of the minds, where we hope the best of modern language scholarship and theater studies will come together, head to head:

1) Comedia in the classroom, where people share new approaches to teaching classical Spanish plays, and new ways of including Comedia in university classes;

2) Comedia from Page to Stage, where people explore new approaches to translating, staging, and watching Comedia in performance; and

3) Comedia and Criticism, where people map out productive approaches to reexamining Comedia through contemporary critical lenses.

We're interested in getting our Call for Papers distributed to as wide a spectrum of AHCT people as possible -- a move heartily endorsed by ASTR's conference planners.

Please consider participating in this two-hour Working Session.  You'll need to move quickly, since 300-word abstracts are due to ASTR by June 6.

Please see the attached CFP for more details.

Should you have questions, please contact Ben Gunter, Florida State University, donjuandramaturg at yahoo.com; Susan Paun de García, Denison University, garcia at denison.edu; or Amy R. Williamsen, University of Arizona, amyw at email.arizona.edu.